Thursday, April 24, 2008

I found my worm

Actually, it's a grub. I'd been finding these c-shaped white larvae every so often as I dug, and I wanted to find out what they were to see if I needed to do something about them. Turns out they're beetle larvae that usually prefer turf. I haven't found that many, so I'm not going to worry too much. I'll have to keep a lookout as the summer wears on, though.

I haven't used any pesticides so far, and I want to keep it that way as long as possible. Besides being distasteful, they're also another thing to keep track of and learn to use, and I hope to keep things as simple as possible.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oooh! I think I found one of those when I was repotting flowers the other weekend ... I tossed it into the greenway.

Anonymous said...

I always leave grubs in the garden - they're doing the composting for me and keeping the soil fertilized! They do tend to attract skunks, though.