I got another test kit the other day, the kind with tablets and tubes. So far I've tested the pH in both locations, as well as the nitrogen and phosphorus levels in the main bed. The soil in the raspberry spot is still alkaline; I'm not sure if I should add more sulfur or give the current lot more time to dissolve. In the main bed, the pH is good, the phosphorus is good, and the nitrogen is quite low. I still have to test for potassium.
I know how absolutely thrilling this is for the three of you who read this.
In other news, I bought radish seeds and a new packet of carrot seeds. I figure I'll give it one more shot before moving on to something less snooty. I'll also look for nitrogen-heavy fertilizer in the hopes that they'll be more likely to sprout if they're better fed.